Monday, September 1, 2008

The First Day of School.

Dear S.
I have been formulating this letter in my head for a few months now, and I am not sure I will get this right. I looked at your little neck the other day, and I was reminded of you as a newborn. Your neck used to resemble a little robin, but it is now stronger and holds your head up proud. I don't really know where to begin, but I wanted to tell you that I never thought I was the mom type. I never really babysat children, I wasn't one of those women that ooh and ahhed at new babies, and I could not imagine not working. (well, I guess I could imagine that:) And then you came along, and I fell victim to every cliche in the book.
I love, love, love you.
It is surreal to look at your child for the first time. When we met, you looked right into my eyes and stared for awhile. You still do this now, and I admire the curiosity you have while viewing the world. I loved you before we met, and I have to admit somewhere in the back of my mind and heart, I knew I would have a little Sophia at some point. And here you are, napping in your room. The last seven months have been a constant flux of change, growth, and new identity. I think we have both grown over these months, and I am not the same any longer. I think you have made me a more loving person, and you reminded me of parts of myself that I needed to be reminded of. You also allowed me to reflect on what matters in life, and I think my priorities are more sound because of you.
I am going back to the classroom tomorrow, and I will be home quickly. You probably won't even notice I am gone. I know you will enjoy reading, singing, traveling, and talking with your family members and when I get back, I will tell you all about my day and I want to hear about yours too. Thank you for being exactly who you are, this joyous person that laughs and smiles at her parents. Make sure Maggie behaves herself, we know she can be a difficult puppy.
You make me very happy, little Sophia.
You have my heart.
Love Always,
Mama.

No comments: